Tuesday, November 04, 2008

I'll Take Her

This morning, Elena, my wife and I got up earlier than usual to vote. We got there around 6:30 or so and a couple of people were waiting in line. Elena was a little fussy in her stroller so she got her way and I got out, I picked her up a muffin and coffee, Becky and I's little tradition is to get coffee afterwards and some breakfast but everything was kinda rushed, like everything is.

We couldn't get Elena to say vote or as Becky wanted "exercise your franchise". People started to line up behind us, a small wave of humanity waiting to exercise that franchise. I thought today of the billions around the world who can't vote, or vote in fixed elections and thought about our responsibility today as Americans. Casting a vote for the most powerful person in the world. Now that's really something, that power, that responsibility of putting so much power in the American people's hands, from the daughter of an ex-slave http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Politics/story?id=6153625&page=1 to a soldier filling out an absentee ballot, an investment banker, an 18 year old kid in the 'bury getting his first shot at the process, whoever that American might be.

We shuffled up in line as the polls opened, Elena with her mama, me trying to maneuver a cup of coffee, a muffin and a stroller filled with everything my little girl could possibly stow away, a blizzard could come and we'd be prepared,even though it was a 5 minute walk away.

I have no idea who will be elected President tonite, and if that person is elected, what kind of President he will be. I know that there are a lot of men and women who got me up to this vestibule, these cube of democracy. Some of them wore a uniform, served in the sands, forests, jungles and mountains defending our country and making the world safe for democracy. Some of them weren't in uniform and fought the war at home for civil rights and for social justice, some of them fought to put food on our table, clothes on our backs and roofs over our heads, but alas I stand on the shoulders of these giants, casting my vote for the future of our own country and perhaps of mankind on earth.

Wow, so much responsibility. I was never one of those educators who told every kid they could be President. How trite it seemed to say that to a kid who struggled to get to school everyday for whatever reason, usually not a fault of their own. How trite is seemed to tell a kid growing up in OP, Jefferson Park, or Mattapan that one day they may walk those hallowed halls. All of a sudden, maybe I was wrong.

Obama was not my first choice for President, all those things, inexperience, naivete, etc. bothered me and the fact that the Democratic Party would nominate a Black man with a funny name for the post. Typical I thought of my party in it's usual suicidal manner, going with the liberal guy instead of the vital center. As I often say, I shed a tear when Obama gave his speech in 2004 at the Convention. An amazing rhetorician, in fact, that speech is printed out and hangs outside my daughter's door, along from some quotes from Eleanor Roosevelt who inspired Elena's first name. (her middle name is Nieves, my grandmother as I lay tribute to two of the most dominating women of the 20th century)

We made our way up to the polls, and got the ballot. I told my wife, "I'll take her." This was quite a life changing experience voting for Obama and I wanted my daughter to see that. She'll never remember unfortunately, it will be my own selfish pleasure. I voted for all ballot questions first, all the lower ticket items leaving the Presidential unchecked. Elena got to touch the pen before I filled in that final circle. And then the circle is complete.

My mother donated to the Obama campaign, the first time in her life that she donated to a campaign. There is something transformative going on. My hope is that it's good transformation. These are tough times and the next President is not going to cut taxes, is not going to make it easier on people and is going to have to make tough choices for a nation that has been living on fluff and credit for years. It's a scary choice, maybe people later today will avail themselves of the safe choice, McCain.

But I had an opportunity to vote for transformation, not because of the color of his skin but the content of his character. That a man that came from limited means with a dedication to education, intellect and hardwork could make himself at the pinnacle of the most difficult and greatest job in the world.

And you know what, I had a chance to take my little girl with me. While I'll never be President, I can honestly look at Elena Nieves Fuentes and tell her, "baby, you can be President."

And then she'll say "papi, kitty". OK, so it will take some time.

No comments: